Not a bug

Live playback preview slow and drops frames

duanra 3 years ago • updated by Jona (Co-Founder) 2 years ago 4

Hello,

Just because you guys are not busy ! ;-)
I have a Samsung note pro 12, Kit Kat.
Every time I playback the animation, no matter how much frames it has and what the speed is, the play back is choppy and it drops frames. Not sure if I am the only one !

Cheers

Answer

Answer
Not a bug

There are two types of movie playback preview you can do. One, swipe on the frames timeline and second pressing the movie preview button. These two different playback options behave differently.

Swipe preview will drop frames along the way if the swipe is really fast. The play preview button option will not drop any frames. It will play them as fast as possible to match the projects FPS setting. In some cases the preview FPS will be slower because loading frames would be loaded from file and not the frames cache.

As I mentioned on this post we are looking at ways to improve the speed which frames are loaded and shown to minimize movie playback slowness and frame drop. For the reason I explained this is not a bug.

Planned
Hey, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately on some devices live previewing of a project can be a bit slow causing some frames to be dropped during playback. We know there are some areas we can improve here and will be doing so very soon. So we will provide an option to lower the canvas size allowing huge speed improvements.
If you have 2 or 3 layers enabled, you can disable the backround layers and just concentrate on the animation layer, this speeds things up a bit.

Exporting to movie, it'll Play at the correct Speed.

Thanks for the feedback. You are right disabling the bg would speed up things a bit more. At the moment the bottle neck for us is actually loading the frame layers. Blending the layers isn't really an issue, it's just the file loading process. However, we are already experimenting and trying different things to double up on speed if possible.
Answer
Not a bug

There are two types of movie playback preview you can do. One, swipe on the frames timeline and second pressing the movie preview button. These two different playback options behave differently.

Swipe preview will drop frames along the way if the swipe is really fast. The play preview button option will not drop any frames. It will play them as fast as possible to match the projects FPS setting. In some cases the preview FPS will be slower because loading frames would be loaded from file and not the frames cache.

As I mentioned on this post we are looking at ways to improve the speed which frames are loaded and shown to minimize movie playback slowness and frame drop. For the reason I explained this is not a bug.