+15
Planned

Frame Hold

IanJTurner 3 years ago • updated by Tristratos 1 month ago 8
I know I and others have mentioned this before, but I haven't seen it in this particular forum.

If there's one missing feature that means I have to take my project out of FlipaClip and onto the PC, it's the fact that I currently cannot make a single drawing hold for more than a single frame. This means that laying out key drawings to get a feel for the timing of an animation is not really possible. It also means that if, once you have your timing set up, you want to alter a 'hold' drawing, then you're going to have a LOT of copy/pasting to do.

It would be fantastic if you could grab the right hand side of a drawing on the timeline and drag it out to the desired number of frames - and if you could do this on a per-layer basis, then that would be even better.

Hope I don't sound like I'm complaining too much ... I love the app. :)

Answer

Answer
Planned
We always appreciate all types of feedback! :)

We are actually thinking about this more and more since this would solve those limitations/slowdown of multiple copy/pastes. The concept of keyframes or frame holds is a great one which would allow even better animations that are created faster.
Answer
Planned
We always appreciate all types of feedback! :)

We are actually thinking about this more and more since this would solve those limitations/slowdown of multiple copy/pastes. The concept of keyframes or frame holds is a great one which would allow even better animations that are created faster.
This would be a huge improvement.
If keyframes were implemented, how about having 1 columncolumn (or row) per layer in the frames viewer?
So rather than the current 4 or 5 frames per line, there would be a scroll bar with time indicators.
I think the PC program pencil 2d had this,but unfortunately was too buggy to use.
+1

We are actually working on a cleaner design that will make the timeline really nice and easier to use. This will set the way for adding potentially a keyframe type of feature. No ETA but for sure we hope get this new design out before Christmas. :)

Hey Jona,

I have to say this is one of the features I'm looking forward to. This post is over two years old and this is still a feature that is not included, wonder if it will ever be?

I get extremely confused with the locking layer feature, I thought locking the layer meant holding/freezing that layer throughout, instead it locks the layer?

I see its utility but.. why would someone need to lock a layer? The layer design you built is pretty solid as is. The only thing I can think of its to prevent careless user from accidently removing a layer...which if you're a regular user, the chances of that happening are pretty much zero.

Why not repurposing the lock layer feature to actually lock it in time? Freeze/hold whatever you want to call it..

Thanks!

P.

Thanks for the input here. It has been a while since we posted about this. Problem is we want things done yesterday but other priorities causes us to delay things. Also, some work takes a lot longer that we anticipate and that hurts our timeline. Frame holding, essentially a way to repeat individual frames and layers is huge feature we are planning to work on it.

+1

Just want to second all of this as well.  I'm a professional 3D animator and recently came across this app as I've been vetting 2D options for a class I'm teaching and I've been totally hooked on it.  After spending a full day joyfully kicking out little animation exercises I was left with these impressions... 1) the better onion skinning is worth the pay version in a heartbeat, 2) there's nothing I've come across that's so easy and intuitive to use without resorting to more powerhouse PC applications, and 3) dang-it if it only had frame hold!!!  I would pay more for this app if it had this feature, FWIW.  But overall thanks for such a great app!

+3
Planned

I have mentioned this before... But we will be looking into this after releasing the audio feature. 

Allowing to effortlessly repeat a frame will bring project size down and definitively improve animations. Hope you guys don't give up on us yet! :)

Great to hear, thanks for the update!